Sunday, January 1, 2012

Embarking on a Third Year of Blogging

"Blogging is an art, same as any other method of self-expression.  Some are better at it than others." Hugh Mcleod
"Your blog is your unedited version of yourself."


The beginning of a new year is always a good time to look back and reflect, and I am pleased to say, I've had a very good year, in regards to improvement to my health, outlook, and social life and, most importantly, in the area of art. 


I started this blog December 28, 2009 and the purpose of it was to break an artist's block that seemed to have a grip on my life.  I could analyze how I got into such a state-- listing the difficult circumstances of the last few years, but I think the real reason is that without vigilance, we can let what is important to us slip out of our grasp. Creating seemed easy when it was part of my life and daily routine, but when life's circumstances interfered on a regular basis, sitting down to paint or draw became more and more difficult, until I found the drawing table piled with items that had nothing to do with art.


So the blog was my jumping off point.  I wrote about my accomplishments and struggles, and the process inspired me to create a portfolio; by browsing through earlier and recent works, I developed a picture of my skills and successes. I posted art in photo albums on Facebook and 3 other websites; the comments they've generated are wonderful and encouraging; I've made friends with other artists and people began to follow the blog. As I thought about creating, talked about it and wrote about it, I became more focused on what is truly important to me.


Essence of Tree
I often doodled, and began carrying a small sketchbook and pen with me.  I just draw whatever comes in to my head or more correctly-- out my pen.  Some of the results are stunning, but they are all valuable to the process of improving my craft.  


I stepped out of my comfort zone and took my work to 4 art shows in 2011 and exhibited some paintings in the local gallery.  Not only did I sell work in the shows but people contacted me afterwards wanting something they had seen.  This year, I had an opportunity to paint on the pots of my potter friend.  I also began beading.


I found people to be very generous, with their praise and encouragement.  Several people--who tried the hobby and found it wasn't for them-- gave me their beads and equipment and others passed on art supplies and magazines.  I am deeply grateful to them.


My Poppy Oil 9 x 12
2011 was a productive year, I completed 4 canvases, numerous drawings and painted on pottery-- some in acrylic and others in glazes.  I sold 15 paintings.  I didn't get rich, but some of the paintings I've had a long time and it was time for them to go to a new home, It was fun to see people happy to have original works of art. I have a couple of commissions in the works, and some canvases underway.


Swallowtail Oil 8 x 10
So the blog achieved it's purpose--to break the artist's block, yet I found I enjoy writing in it and plan to continue, even though some days I might write about what ever strikes my fancy. Thank y'all for your support; I can't begin 
to tell you how much it's meant. 

4 comments:

  1. So good to see you back, Maxie! I'd love to see your new work...

    =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to see you back in the blog saddle again, Maxie! I don't think I've missed any of your postings, many of which are filled with your good humor. It's always a pleasure to read them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's encouragement of folks like y'all that make it possible. Thank you. <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. "the real reason is that without vigilance, we can let what is important to us slip out of our grasp" your determination & drive is always comforting Maxie. Interestingly. I am finding quite some connection with trees as well.

    ReplyDelete