Saturday, April 3, 2010

Be Yourself--Again



Miners Row Oil 9 x 12
If God had wanted me otherwise, He would have created me otherwise. ~Johann von Goethe
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. ~Dr. Seuss
I found a very wide spectrum of sayings on being yourself, and it tickles me to include quotes by Goethe and Dr. Seuss in the same post. They both speak the truth to me. As for Maxie being herself, it comes from knowing herself and that is a work in progress. I know this is a topic I have addressed before, but it is one I will probably visit again and again.
There is a story behind this painting, which is titled Miner's Row. Many years ago I visited a ghost town in New Mexico by the name of Madrid. It was once a thriving coal mining town, but the mine closed in the 1950's. When I was there all the buildings and the company houses were abandoned and falling to ruin. Something about the neglected houses touched me and I took pictures of them. Not too long after we were there, artists bought up the town and the old houses, restoring them. Madrid is now a thriving artist community and tourist stop. 
From the photos I took, I created this picture imagining what the homes might have looked like in their prime. I gave the painting away for a wedding present, but a couple of years ago a friend told me that she had found it in a second hand store, and she is now the owner. Painting snow is a struggle, but I am pleased with the sky and lighted windows.

No comments:

Post a Comment