Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Terminally Unique


I really can't deny it, I am who I am. I'm pretty normal. I'm not that smooth type of girl. I run into things, I spill food, I say stupid things... I really don't have it all together. Katie Holmes
     AA members have coined the phrase, "terminally unique," which defines a person who thinks her problems are not like any one else's. In other words, "Nobody Knows the Troubles I've Seen." This is dangerous thinking. If I believe I am unique, and don't believe anyone else understands, then I am not apt to do anything to help myself, while remaining in the dark comfort of self-pity. I am learning that, while I feel crazy most of the time and my thoughts don't seem normal, my reactions are normal for losing a loved one and the other trials that I have been walking through. I know I am a unique child of God, but the Bible tells me that my troubles are "common to man." And I need to give myself a break.
     This painting is Blue Chicken. The original drawing has a pair of salt and pepper shakers in it, but I used the same pair in another painting and learned by that experience to never put two identical objects in a painting, because it is impossible to paint them to look alike. So I added an apple which I got out of the fridge and set on the drawing table for reference--this worked until someone ate the apple. I also added some flowers that I like very much, giving the bouquet an airy feel. I read somewhere that a painting of a bouquet should appear as if a bumble bee can fly through them. I think the bumble bee will like the pink flowers. In critiquing this painting I realize should have included some blue flowers to balance the blue in the chicken dish. When I started painting in earnest about 10 years ago, I used to do a complete drawing to get a feel of the subject and check the composition, before starting a painting; then I would have 2 works of art. It is a practice I want to resume.
     Chop Wood Carry Water: I have been getting some cleaning done, and working at the drawing table. I have done the budget, started paying bills, and cleared the desk. I organized paintings to price as a friend is interested in the irises. I exercised, ate right, showered and brushed my teeth :o). I even remembered to feed the dog.

1 comment:

  1. I am really happy to hear you are feeling better Maxine, I am especially happy for your dog, I love dogs, they love us no matter what we are going thru. keep doing what you are doing and you will keep getting what you are getting girlfriend. gotta love the moment, Sandi

    ReplyDelete