Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Laugh or Die


Perhaps I know best why it is man alone who laughs; he alone suffers so deeply that he had to invent laughter. ~Friedrich Nietzsche

With the fearful strain that is on me night and day, if I did not laugh I should die. ~Abraham Lincoln

Laughter is pretty serious business, and I am grateful for the gift of it throughout my life during hard times and good. I believe that it actually takes the edge off of grief and pain, and makes the good times more wonderful. I love to laugh and have fun and seek every opportunity to do so. Sometimes it is like ole Abe said-- I laugh so I won't die.

This is a watercolor, Yaquina Head, (Newport OR) that I did for my sister Linda. She showed me a picture she took of her favorite lighthouse and when she wasn't looking I borrowed the photo and made this painting for her for Christmas. She loved it so much that when we lost her 9 years ago, her husband used the painting to make her funeral bulletins. I miss ya, Linda.

3 comments:

  1. Totally agree Maxie .."I love to laugh and have fun and seek every opportunity to do so. ...I laugh so I won't die" Over the years I have managed to remember a few jokes to lighten up any conversation!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that the painting you made for your sister graced her funeral bulletins. Beautiful.

    =)

    ReplyDelete