Thursday, May 6, 2010

Know Thyself

The unexamined life is not worth living. ~Socrates
Not until we are lost do we begin to understand ourselves. ~Henry David Thoreau
It's a helluva start, being able to recognize what makes you happy. ~Lucille Ball
I am getting better, recovering from the darkness of the last year, which is a relief. Being lost gave me an opportunity to find myself. This didn't just happen, though--recovery requires that I do some work, searching out destructive behaviors and discovering my strengths, but the rewards are worth it. Knowledge is power; knowing who I am, empowers me to succeed at this life of mine.

This painting, The Wedding Picture, is painted from a reference photo I made. Besides the lilies, I used wild sweet peas and another wild flower. The arrangement wilted soon afterwards, but the painting preserved it for posterity. I didn't like the object I had placed on the front right--can't remember what it was--so I replaced it with the brass pitcher. The flowers were easy to paint this time, it was the fabric that gave me trouble. The picture is my in-laws' wedding picture--of course it really doesn't look like them, but I know it is them!! Posting these pictures on the blog helps me to see the weaknesses of the composition--for future reference.

2 comments:

  1. Always comforting & inspiring Maxie ..Being lost gave me an opportunity to find myself. ... knowing who I am" Each one of us has to start the journey from .."where we are." Deep good wishes

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maxie,
    You are simply masterful with flowers, and my amateur's eye is entirely relaxed in the composition.

    It occurs to me that the first and third quotes can be quite happily inverted: "The unlived life is not worth examining" and "It's a helluva happiness, being able to recognize what makes you start."

    smiles,
    rb

    ReplyDelete