Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Perfectionist

Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep. ~Scott Adams

I used to be such a perfectionist, but I think I am recovering from that judging by the dust bunnies reproducing in the corners of my home. If a work of art didn't live up to my standards, it would give me a sick feeling just looking at it so I would tuck it away so I couldn't see it. I have discovered that some paintings can be rescued if I wait and look at them with a fresh perspective, but there are others that are beyond hope, but one day a long time ago I received a revelation about those too. Even if a piece of art didn't turn out well, I still learned from it; that makes it as valuable as the art I keep.
This painting is Ordinary Iris and it is definitely a keeper. It is one of my favorites. Tonight I painted. The result wasn't pleasing, but I know the effort is the valuable thing for me now. Now I need to focus on consistency and maybe I will break through that inertia.
CWCW: I kept medical appointments, put all the laundry away and even ironed the wrinkled things. And I fought a few rounds with the Self-Hatred Monster; that thing needs to be banished to Hell. Oh, and I spent the evening at the drawing table. Insert your favorite cheer here.

No comments:

Post a Comment