Saturday, March 13, 2010

Poetry

Painting is poetry that is seen rather than felt, and poetry is painting that is felt rather than seen. ~Leonardo da Vinci

I have never been a poet--I have trouble finding words that rhyme for limericks. I even have trouble reading it--I have to slow my mind down and concentrate, which I often do for the exercise of it. When I make the effort, I am rewarded with the insight or comfort the poet has to offer. I like da Vinci's statement that painting is poetry. I wonder if he would like my paintings and what I could learn from him if he were here to teach me.
This painting, Cuttings, is of very ordinary things. One day I set cuttings from house plants in front of the window that had glass bottles on the sill and a spider plant hanging from above. I am fond of bottles and I enjoy drawing and painting them; they are works of art in themselves. Later I walked through the kitchen and the light outside was rare--one of those foggy days where the sun is about to burn through. I took some pictures; in the painting I rearranged the bottles and added the gauzy curtains. Except for the pop of red in the angel wing plant it is almost monochromatic, making it soothing. The picture won a ribbon at the fair and I think it is the last still life I have painted. It is poetry.
CWCW: I mopped the kitchen, started this week's laundry and went to physical therapy at the pool.

2 comments:

  1. I am very happy to hear that you are going to the pool as it is one of the ways for a person with a knee injury to get wonderful soothing excersize. Water is so spiritual and healing in itself a conductor of energy, (think babtism), you are doing great, making choices and surrendering to the call, so healing, regain your power and live in the moment, yes, hugs, Sandi

    ReplyDelete
  2. the painting is gorgeous! I love it. Sandi

    ReplyDelete