Saturday, March 27, 2010

Glory

Georgia O'Keefe Quotes:
Glory OIl 9 x 12
I've been absolutely terrified every moment of my life - and I've never let it keep me from doing a single thing I wanted to do...  When you take a flower in your hand and really look at it, it's your world for the moment. I want to give that world to someone else.
The purpose of this blog, and the purpose of the portfolio I put together, was to break past the artist block and the personal turmoil in my life to paint again. I haven't gotten there yet, but one day I will be posting a new painting. Like Georgia, I must not let anything keep me from doing a single thing I want to do. Looking at work I have done in the past does inspire me. In fact, it still surprises me that I rendered these paintings; that my name is on them. You'd think that the act of creating would put me in such a spiritual state that nothing would touch me, but the truth is that painting is a series of ordinary actions: designing, sketching, painting, cleaning brushes, getting paint on my cheek, getting frustrated when something doesn't quite work, and being tired at the end of the day. Somehow the magic comes out of that. It is a gift.
Like Georgia, I want to give you a flower. It is titled Glory. Not mine but God's.

1 comment: