Saturday, February 27, 2010

Promises Promises


We promise according to our hopes, and perform according to our fears. ~Francois duc de la Rochefoucauld

I used to be one who followed through on promises made to others and commitments made to myself, but I have grown shamefully slack in that area. I have become neglectful of the to-do lists and goals I have written on slips of paper all over the house, which are collecting dust like everything else that needs to be dealt with.

Two things on those list I just remembered, one was to check out the new local gallery to see if it could be a place to show my art. I can frame some art to hang in the shop or create bookmarks or cards with the computer, which I am very good at. I made late Hubby's funeral bulletins and had 50 printed for about 20 bucks. Bookmarks are easy to make and cheaply laminated. But first I have to visit the gallery--make that first small step.

I also made a promise to a friend. She has lots of artsy friends because of her connection with the local theater and she has little concerts at her house featuring local artists, which are well attended. She said she wanted to do a showing of my work in the same way; all I had to do was get some art framed. I promised her I would work on that. I haven't.

I don't know quite what to do about this inertia I have allowed to settle over me, but it has to be broken before I can move forward.

This painting is called Velvet Gown. When looking at the reference photo, I was struck by how the sun shining into the flower seemed to make it glow; I think I have captured that in the painting. All the pictures I paint of flowers are from photos taken in my garden, or sometimes someone else's.

No comments:

Post a Comment