Tuesday, February 2, 2010

True Friends

Cousins

"The miracle of friendship can be spoken without words...hearing unspoken needs, recognizing secret dreams, understanding the silent things that only true friends know."

I have to take some time to talk about friends. Right now, I have more friends than I have ever had before in my life, and most of them are ones I have made in the last 10 years. I was painfully shy and did not make friends easily as a child and a teen, and as a young wife and mother I was contented to stay at home and not venture out too much; what few friends I had were outgoing neighbors or co-workers who pulled me into their circles of friendships. I enjoyed their company, but not enough to break out of my shell; and when we moved on, I didn't make a effort to stay in touch, so I have no friends from the past. I developed a pattern of isolating, associating only with family, which wasn't too smart because the family held my most toxic relationships. The more painful my life became, the more I pulled into my shell and the fewer friends I had.
I am grateful today that I am not so much an introvert; I embrace my friends and welcome new ones. Friends bless me in more ways than I can count. Today I was treated to a massage by a friend. Recently a friend cleaned my living room and kitchen; another went to the doctor with me; others showered love on me for my birthday. Phone calls, visits, cards, emails, lunches, excursions, gifts, help, girl talk, secrets shared, laughter, hugs and kisses... I hope I can be as half a good a friend to others as they are to me.

I am grateful to say that now, the more painful my life is the more I reach out to my friends. And those friends of mine who are reading this-- Thank you and I love you.

No comments:

Post a Comment